Copy Editor Associate
Arizona State University
Enterprise Marketing Hub
The content copy editor works in a fast-paced, creative environment that is committed to effectively and efficiently developing best-in-class digital and print marketing communications. Under the direct supervision of the Enterprise Marketing Hub senior director of creative, this position is responsible for proofreading and editing all written content disseminated by the Hub to ensure factual accuracy and adherence to both AP style and the ASU Writing Style Guide. The content copy editor is a perfectionist with an eagle eye for typos and style inconsistencies.
$38,800 - $48,500 per year; DOE
- Proofreads and edits all written content appearing in print, digital and video communications with a goal of clarity and zero errors.
- Ensures all communication follows and adheres to AP style guidelines, ASU style guidelines and university brand standards.
- Maintains a network of enterprise-wide contacts from various university units (registrar, office of president, facilities, etc.) for the purpose of fact checking.
- Conducts extensive research for the purposes of fact checking content and ensuring accuracy.
- Keeps a traceable log of revisions and versions utilizing project management software.
- Closely monitors and researches academic rankings, updating ASU rankings as needed and leveraging them to build perceptions of quality and excellence.
- Works in close alignment with various Hub teams, including the design, digital and video teams.
- Actively balances a variety of projects, prioritizes workload based on deadlines and routinely reports progress on projects through project management tools and processes.
- Proactively communicates to supervisor well in advance when deadlines are in jeopardy.
- Actively participates on internal and external workgroups and committees to advance projects and stay informed about emerging best practices.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field AND two years experience; OR, six years of progressively responsible experience in editing, journalism or editorial research; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in editing and proofreading marketing content and materials for brands.
- Experience with and knowledge of AP style.
- Experience in working in a fast-paced environment handling multiple projects and meeting deadlines.
- Experience with problem solving, decision-making and ability to contribute in a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience working as part of a team as well as independently on projects with minimal supervision.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using MS Office suite, Google Docs, Adobe InCopy, and project management systems, including Wrike.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (25%). Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (35%). Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. Regularly performs work which requires walking on uneven surfaces and exposure to external environmental conditions as part of photo shoots. Video and still cameras, telephone, computer (monitor, keyboard and mouse), printer, fax and copier.This position receives regular managerial review of objectives. This position provides supervision of contracted printer(s) for completion of project/program related tasks as needed. May need to work weeknights, weekends and holidays.
Our office is at the 4th floor of The Centerpoint, 660 S. Mill Avenue (15-minute walk from the Tempe campus). Work will be mostly in front of a computer on a workstation but may have instances of traveling to other offices/buildings for meetings with clients.
Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions.
About ASU and the Enterprise Marketing Hub
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American research university creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access and impact.
In order to become that model for the New American University, ASU has undergone some radical changes over the last decade. Like many universities, we have added new buildings, hired new faculty and brought in new students. But, unlike many of our peers, we have also undertaken a massive reorganization of our institution. We have torn down walls between disciplines and encouraged collaboration among diverse units. We have altered the trajectory of the university and reevaluated the role that universities play in society, in the economy and in education at all levels. We have changed the relationship between ASU and the State of Arizona.
As a result, ASU has built the first-of-it-kind Enterprise Marketing Hub. The Hub is a unique hybrid of a marketing department, agency, consultancy and “general contractor.” The 100+ person Hub is described as an all-star collection of individuals who possess a unique combination of deep knowledge, a passion for experimentation, and an unrelenting dedication towards building a highly collaborative environment where talents and ideas combine to drive new innovations. Members of the Enterprise Marketing Hub are well accomplished in their fields and contribute a high level of expertise to ASU.
The team builds rewarding relationships throughout the ASU enterprise by providing sound counsel, mentoring and dedication. In addition, The Enterprise Marketing Hub is surrounded by unique partnerships and external support that provide additional inspiration and expertise to the enterprise. Through partnerships with Coca Cola, Starbucks, Google and others, the Enterprise Marketing Hub is able to counsel and partner with its constituents to deliver first-of-its-kind marketing in the higher education sector.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 52732BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=3824728
Location/Region: ASU Tempe campus